Work at Home Forum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in   Add this forum to your favorites!Add to Favorites 

Web design help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Hi Vishal and Jason I love with both of you have done with your sites. If I may ask what each of you are using to create or build your site. I don't know anything on this stuff but I do need a good HTML editor that will pretty much allow me to type in what I want etc and literally just click to send to my server. I know some basic HTML but I really don't have time to spend hours, days or months building my site. Can you help. Or refer me to a good editor that is not too much. No SBI please. I tried SBI but not happy with it. thanks

Michelle
Vishal P. Rao
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michelle,

Welcome to the forum Very Happy

Just yesterday I found one great content managment software and I've already started using it on one of my sites. I'm very happy with it. It's called Big Medium.

The main advantage of this software is that it creates static HTML pages unlike Post Nuke etc. which store pages in a database. Databases can significantly reduce the performance of sites.

However, there is some learning curve involved with the software and you need to have some HTML knowledge (they have a very good support forum and excellent documentations). But once you set up the software, you'll love building your site.

Let me know what you think of it.

Best wishes,

Vishal
csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information but as mention I know nothing about perl or any of that stuff.

Michelle
Vishal P. Rao
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no perl knowledge required. Just basic html stuff and ftp knowledge (changing file permissions etc.). There are so many places on the Net that offer free information on this. As a web site owner I always feel one must have basic html knowledge. It helps a lot in the long run.

Best wishes Very Happy

Vishal
csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree I know very basic stuff, do I need to be using the recommend operating system or is that referring to my servers OS system used. thanks

M
Vishal P. Rao
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the server operating system. Since the software is installed on your server, there is no ftp involved. New files are created on the server itself.

Vishal
homeboy
Just Joined
Just Joined

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: HTML Editor Reply with quote

Hi Michelle,

If you haven't found a good editor yet, I would recommend using Dreamweaver or MS Frontpage. I've been designing webpages for a couple years now and from the time I started til now, I've found both of those editors easy to use. Check them out if you get a chance, I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

KT
csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KT,
everythingebaydotcom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend Microsoft Frontpage for a newbie. It is easy to learn and very versatile.

Dreamweaver is also a very good, powerful program - but the learning curve on this program is pretty steep.

Have a good one,

Lisa
csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lisa am going to look into finding something on ebay Smile I also need photoshop so I know I can find a deal there thanks

Michelle
everythingebaydotcom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of photoshop:

I use Jasc Paint shop pro. It's a really good graphics program for a fraction of the cost of photoshop and they have a free 30 day trial available to download from their website here: http://www.jasc.com/products/trialreg.asp?pid=K-PSP8-USDIR

If your interested, go take a look.

Have a great day!

Lisa
Jaison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Frontpage Reply with quote

Frontpage - ez to use and post. Fairly cheap to buy. Most hosting companies support frontpage.

JN
csmarketing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I appreciate you help. One more question please how do I use a thumb nail picture I want to be able to use thumb nails so when click on pic it will open in a new window. Is there a problem needed for this or will one of the recommend HTML editors do this for me as well thanks

Michelle
Vishal P. Rao
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle,

You'll need a graphic software to reduce the size of your images and convert them into thumbnails. I'm not aware of any HTML editors doing that.

Best wishes,

Vishal P. Rao
everythingebaydotcom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle,

Frontpage will also do automatic thumbnail sizing for you!

When your picture is selected all you do is click on the thumbnail button at the bottom of the Frontpage window and it's all done. It automaticly saves the small and large pictures for you and links them togather so that when you click on the thumbnail the "normal" size pic will open up.

Have a great day!

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Web Design and Hosting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

A sister site of Home Based Business Opportunities.

© 2004 Work at Home Forum. Powered by phpBB 2.0.11